Since this week I'm volunteering with a local NGO: People Earth Wise.
I took some time to choose a suitable organisation and I'm glad I did. I found quite a lot of organisations carrying out environmental work. My first idea was to work for Mt Cameroon Ecotourism. However, after a few "meetings" I discovered they lack the goodwill / enthousiasm to give me a nice challenge. I don't have the feeling they were really interested to work out projects together, although they really have the financial input and possibilities to do so.
Anyway, People Earth Wise seems to be opposite. They lack money, people (1 manager, 1 voluntary staff member and me...), but they have plenty of ideas, projects, connections, things realized in the past, and they're surprising me more every day. Their main goal is to support/organize the sustainable development in the region of Mt Cameroon, more specific through environmental education, trainings, village development, etc. Donations... :) just let me know if you would have too much money, although I'd advise you to wait a few weeks/months to see how it evolves. :DD They don't have a website yet, who has time?
The small shop of Julius and Cynthia (Left and in the middle - Julius picked me up at the airport).
Cynthia makes "Omelet with fries" every evening, I told her she could open a Frietkot in Belgium right away, I love it!
By the way, I also try traditional dishes, but generally I prefer the food that looks somewhat to what I'm used to. According to Hanne, the snails are great, but they don't sell them this time of the year.
"One Faith", the best place for breakfast: Spaghetti-Omelet and something that reminds to coffee, very sweet, but lekker! The decoration is... significant.
The black beach of Limbe, I went there with Hanne last weekend. It's already an adventure to get there with the taxi (and get back in the night) but it's wonderful. Just imagine you're in one of our subtropic swimming pools. The water is warm (no challenge at all...), the air is humid, the people... mostly white. If you could call any town touristic in Cameroon, it would be this one.
The house where I'm staying for the moment, invited by a very friendly family. View on the mountain, own room and kitchen and only 100m away from the rainforest. But I haven't been there yet, I need the permission first :-(
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten